Did you know that my Fowl feathered friends helped many families put food on the table during the great depression? If you did, then it is no surprise to see me here now, saving the day, one egg at a time. Now, don’t get me wrong, I know it takes two to tango and my owner has come up with some interesting ways of her own to make ends meet. My name is Martha and I’m here to tell you about my wonderful family: A loving stay-at-home mother, an unemployed father who is in the process of reinventing himself, and 3 amazing children and their incredible journey through Autism. Join me and I will tell you some interesting stories about weathering tough times, putting healthy food on the table and finding ways to continue biomedical Autism treatments while on food stamps.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Curds & Whey

My mother loves to give my sisters and I leftover curds and whey.  Fresh whey, when properly prepared, is a great natural probiotic.  Whey is good for chickens and humans.  Whey is the most beneficial when prepared from raw milk but I realize that not everyone has access to good quality raw milk.  Luckily, it can be made from good quality, unsweetened, plain yogurt.  The following recipes for yogurt whey and raw milk whey are from mother's favorite cookbook, "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon

Homemade Yogurt Whey
 Unsweetened, unflavored (preferably organic) plain yogurt
Strainer
Cheesecloth
Bowl

Put a strainer in a large bowl and line the strainer with cheesecloth.  Pour yogurt into cheesecloth and allow fluid to drip into bowl (This fluid will look like lemonade and may have some white cloudiness to it).  Allow to drip for several hours then gather the cheese cloth and (Don't squeeze!) hang above bowl until the bag no longer drips.  The entire process can take around 7 hours.  The remaining yogurt is now called curds or kefir cheese or farmer cheese.  The flavor is a bit pungent for my mother's tastes but when mixed with Ranch Dressing mix people gobble it up!  The curds and whey can then be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.  Yes, that's right...when properly prepared it has a crazy shelf life!


Homemade Raw Milk Whey
Good Quality Fresh Raw Milk (1 Gallon)
Yogurt Starter Culture (1 Packet)
Strainer
Cheesecloth
Bowl

Pour yogurt starter into raw milk, mix well, and set out at room temperature for 1 to 4 days until the milk separates.  When the milk separates, put a strainer in a large bowl and line with cheesecloth, pour milk into cheesecloth and allow fluids to drip into bowl.  After a few hours, gather the ends of the cheesecloth and hang above bowl until dripping stops.  This can take 7 to 14 hours.  Refrigerate when complete.  Shelf life of 6 months.


No comments: