Did you know that my Fowl feathered friends helped many families put food on the table during the great depression? If you did, then it is no surprise to see me here now, saving the day, one egg at a time. Now, don’t get me wrong, I know it takes two to tango and my owner has come up with some interesting ways of her own to make ends meet. My name is Martha and I’m here to tell you about my wonderful family: A loving stay-at-home mother, an unemployed father who is in the process of reinventing himself, and 3 amazing children and their incredible journey through Autism. Join me and I will tell you some interesting stories about weathering tough times, putting healthy food on the table and finding ways to continue biomedical Autism treatments while on food stamps.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Holy Basil and Fevers

A year ago, Papa had his tonsils removed but before he did, he was often sick.  It was common for Papa to run fevers that would reach 102 to 104 degrees, which is pretty serious for an adult.  In an attempt to find ways to bring down the fever but still allow the fever to do its important work, Mama started to research alternative treatments on the internet. 

Mama had some Holy Basil (Tulsi)  in the cupboard that she was told would reduce fevers but she didn't know how.  After searching the internet, it turns out that it is used in Ayurvedic medicine.  Finding an exact recipe was a challenge because most sights would generically say "In case of acute fevers, a decoction of the leaves boiled with powdered cardamom in half a liter of water and mixed with sugar and milk brings down the temperature."

It turns out that this concoction was able to reduce the fever by 1 to 2 degrees.  I know this seems insignificant but it kept Papa out of the emergency room and allowed the fever to do its job.  It tastes pretty good, too.

We do not recommend this as a treatment or cure.  You should always consult a health care provider before trying alternative treatments.

No comments: